Sunday 1 June 2008

Will KL's greenery fade away?

I've just returned from another trip to Kuala Lumpur this weekend - only this time, it was a very hurried, last-minute effort - to attend both a dinner and a meeting at the Cititel hotel in MidValley. Every time I stay there, I never get tired of looking out the windows at the wide expanse of space. If you can cut through the slight haze, it is a grand view because of the high-rise buildings, especially the Petronas Twin Towers and the KL Tower in the distance.

Actually, I've never been very impressed with high-rise buildings because they contribute to human and vehicular traffic congestion. But Kuala Lumpur is not just one concrete development after another. Not yet, anyway. I'm glad that there is still a lot of greenery around the city, as can be seen from the picture below. There are still huge trees that line the major roads. They provide a respite from the heat. Of course, I cannot expect trees to be grown on the flyovers but the city can still do with even more trees along the multi-lane highways. I can only hope that the city authorities will not do something stupid in the future by felling these trees. Nevertheless for the moment, I am thankful that I can still see greenery from my hotel room at the Cititel.

No comments: