Sunday 23 December 2018

Discovering a new nephew


Being trustees of the Swee Cheok Tong Quah Kongsi (檳城瑞鵲堂柯公司) mean that it is also our job to keep a watchful eye on the people that come to pray during the Chinese festivals. At yesterday's Tang Chik (Dongzhi, 冬節), or the Winter Solstice festival, I had noticed this young man praying at the altars.

He was new; I had never seen or met him before. Therefore after he had finished making his rounds of the altars inside the Kongsi, I pulled him aside to introduce myself. (Or was it to turn interrogator?)

Turned out that he is now a newly discovered relative of mine. Name of Ethan Quah. Grandson of Quah Kong Chai, one of our former trustees, now deceased. And Kong Chai was my uncle too, my father's cousin. Which makes Ethan my nephew. How cool. I welcome any nephew or niece with the same surname as I.

Ethan's a Singaporean. Newly completed his two-year National Service and now waiting to enter University. I was told by his aunt that he intended to take up law studies.


No comments: