Thursday 4 April 2019

Santa Esmeralda


This is the eponymous debut album by the disco group called Santa Esmeralda, featuring a singer named Leroy Gomez. For a very long time, I had always thought that Santa Esmeralda was a person. Well, I was wrong. 

As I mentioned earlier, this is a disco group and this record came out in 1977. Of course, when I first heard Don't let me be understood on the radio, it was just a three-minute or so song. No radio station at that time would want to play a song that goes on and on in its entirety. But with the album out, it's really a 16-minute track taking up the whole of the first side of the record and it incorporated what was known as the Esmeralda suite. A real disco track: full of urgency and energy.


Side One: Don't let me be understood + Esmeralda suite
Side Two: Gloria, You're my everything, Black pot



No comments: