Thursday 9 May 2019

Old mindset in new Malaysia


Monday was the first day of Ramadan. Muslims every where have begun their month of fasting from dawn to dusk. And I wish them Selamat Berbuka Puasa. Today and everyday till the eve of Aidil Fitri.

Monday was also the day that I went out to the island for some errands. Finishing up at about 4.40pm and travelling along Weld Quay, I thought to myself, "Why, it's not even five o'clock. Why not take the ferry across to the mainland and save myself a trip across the bridge? Besides, there's hardly any queue at the ferry terminal. Just three or four cars away from the traffic lights."

So I joined the line. Waiting for the traffic lights to turn green, then red, then green again, red, green.... The queue wasn't moving. I should have taken the cue then and cut my loss. Recapitulate and take the bridge back. But the obstinacy in me - or was it the optimism - said to remain in the line. I've waited so long already. Surely, the line would start moving soon?

But it wasn't until about 5.10pm that we were allowed to drive into the ferry terminal's compound. Despite only two lines of cars waiting in the compound, we were not allowed to drive into the terminal's holding area until about half-an-hour later when we were ushered in to wait.

I alighted from the car and peered into the distance. No ferry in sight. There was a policeman there, seated at a table. I went up to him and tried to strike up a conversation. Long wait for a ferry, huh? Yes, he said. One of the ferries broke down earlier and there were only two ferries plying between the island and the mainland? Only two ferries? I was incredulous. Yes, he said again. The next ferry was expected to arrive at six o'clock and depart at 6.20pm.

I felt disgusted. Here was the afternoon peak hours and there were only two ferries working. What happened to the promise to improve the ferry services? Last year, I think it was, the ferry services was pawned off to Prasarana and they started calling the ferry services as rapidFerry. I saw the signboard right above where my car was parked. What an embarrassment, if really the people behind Prasarana can feel the embarassment.

rapidFerry, where a channel crossing may take up to two hours to complete? Why, I remember that in the 1980s, the present ferry could take only 12 minutes to make the crossing. Today, it was more of a 25-minute wait on board the vehicle from one end of the ferry terminal to the other end.

I texted a friend who knew people working at the ferry terminal. "Frustration," I said, "is finding only two ferries plying island-mainland during afternoon peak hours. Or is it (an) everyday (experience)??" After a while, he texted back, "You won't believe what rapid told me. Puasa month. All tired. Many on mc (medical leave). Sadly the manpower planning of the old mindset remains. Shocking!"

Yes, shocking, indeed. There's simply no honour among them. There is also no dignity or shame. Just like yesterday afternoon on the TRAXXfm radio station. The announcers were discussing a story about how an elderly man in Labuan was getting impatient about the service in a fast-food joint. The announcers said the man was wrong. Should have cut some slack for the workers this puasa month.

I beg your pardon, you TRAXXfm announcers? Cutting them some slack? Common, I have great respect for the fasting month of Ramadan. I have great respect for the Muslims who show great willpower to fast from dawn to dusk. Sometimes, I tried to emulate what they do. Went a full day without breakfast and lunch, just to find out how it was. And I found that I still had the energy (or call it willpower or determination) to get through the distraction of hunger until dinnertime. Anyhow, I wouldn't eat in front of my fellow citizens who are fasting. That's showing them the sensitivity, the respect. But to use fasting to justify slowing down their work rate? Sorry, that doesn't cut any ice with me. Try another reason, please!



No comments: