Wednesday 9 October 2019

Abbey Road has arrived!


Well, finally, the parcel has arrived: the parcel that contained the three LPs that make up the Abbey Road 50th anniversary edition. The parcel arrived when I was out of the house but the postman called me, asked for my particulars, asked when I would be returning to the house and then said he would leave it within the compound. I just hope that he did not throw it over the gate. 😝

So when I did get back home, there it was flat on the ground. My precious parcel, flat on the ground. But it looked well packed and secure, thankfully insulated from any damage. I took the parcel upstairs, slowly opening it to discover another box within. Within it, the Abbey Road box set shrink-wrapped in plastic. And slowly, I ran the penknife round the shrink-wrap, opened the cover of the box set and ta-dah! My Abbey Road in my hands. Needless to say, the three vinyls have already received their virgin spins on my turntable.

Meanwhile, at loudersound.com, this little piece of information was noticed:
At the end of last month, the Beatles’ classic 1969 album Abbey Road was reissued as a deluxe box set to celebrate its 50th anniversary.
It went straight in at no.1 on the UK album charts – and it’s broken a record in the process.
Abbey Road spent a total of 17 weeks at the top of the UK charts after its release in September 1969 and by reaching the no.1 position once again after 49 years and 252 days, it’s been officially recognised by the Guinness World Records for the longest time for an album to return to the top spot in the UK.
On hearing the news, Paul McCartney tweeted: “It’s hard to believe that Abbey Road still holds up after all these years. But then again, it’s a bloody cool album.”





No comments: