Thursday 15 July 2021

Talking with Tan

I'm still rearranging my personal chess archives, otherwise known as my storeroom. Happened to come across this November 1995 issue of Chess Life, published by the United States Chess Federation, which featured Tan Chin Nam on its cover. Probably a first for a Malaysian chess player, amateur or otherwise, to frontpage a foreign chess publication but then, with former Chess Life editor Larry Parr behind the story it was bound to happen one day, and this was it.

The magazine commented that while most of Tan's largesse was evidenced on the Pacific Rim, he "played a large part in securing sponsorship for the US Amateur Team playoff at the Harbor View Marina and Yacht Club in Baltimore in 1993."

A transcript of the interview that Parr had conducted follows below. By then, he had moved his residency to the SuCasa Hotel Apartments in Kuala Lumpur where he was employed to ghost write Dato' Tan's autobiography.

TALKING WITH TAN, by Larry Parr

IF DATO' TAN CHIN NAM is not the world's wealthiest businessman, he is probably its wealthiest chessman. An enthusiastic and dangerous amateur player, this 70-year-old mega-developer keeps a chessboard and men at the ready in his private office in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Visitors are expected to play on the set with the man whom business newspapers dub the "property grandmaster" and chess journalists the "Maecenas of Malaysian chess."

But life was not always so prosperous.

Dropping out of school at age 13 and working as a street hawker and clerk, this financial giant avers that he "was once a poor man myself." Among his earlier business efforts was the famous Ipoh Gardens housing project which earned him the nickname of "Mr. Low Cost."

Although officially retired from Tan & Tan and IGB Corporation, the two major components of the Tan Group of companies, Dato' Tan is still, in the view of many business reporters, the man who calls the major shots. For example, this vigorous old Lion King divided power among his children between Tan & Tan and IGB, and then quoted the Chinese proverb, "You can't have two tigers on one hill."

As far as chess is concerned, Dato' Tan started out by playing the Chinese variant at a good club level, first becoming involved in Western chess about 1973 when a previous Malaysian federation got deregistered by the government. He proved important in establishing the current Malaysian Chess Federation.

But let Dato' Tan speak for himself about why he became enmeshed in Caissa's coils and about what he regards as his most important contributions:

Larry Parr: What attracts you to chess?

Dato' Tan Chin Nam: I'm fascinated by the game. I eat, talk and dream chess – though the dreams are sometimes nightmares. For example, how many FIDE officials will stand and watch a game for four hours with corns on their feet? I do.

Chess can be rewarding. I now think that I can become a better player. Chess teaches you never to say, "l should have won the game." That's like saying you shouldn't three putt. I'm stupid to make a mistake or not to anticipate a move by the opponent. There are no "should-haves" in chess. The failures are the result only of one's stupidity.

For youngsters, chess teaches discipline, patience, systematic analytical thinking, and the humility that only comes from getting beaten. In fact, I like to lose. If I win, then there is no more competition for me; any player that I beat is out of my book. To remain in my "club," you must beat me.

Parr: Speaking of "nightmares," what do you find most aggravating about being involved in chess?

Dato' Tan: That's easy to answer. Like doctors, chess players never say thank you and never say sorry. When I started organizing chess events, some of the local players rated at 2200 wanted appearance fees! ln a way the sheer nerve of these people made me feel happy even when it was also annoying.

Parr:  Malaysia has held a number of high profile international competitions, including the 1990 Karpov-Timman candidates' final. What about sponsoring the Kamsky-Karpov match for the FIDE "world championship?"

Dato' Tan: No. It would be hard for the Malaysian Chess Federation to do this when local players would be raging against any potential sponsor. Before we can host grand tournaments and matches, we need a home-grown grandmaster and some more IMs. The point behind the 12-tournament rating series is to create a large new pool of Malaysian players, several of whom might then become grandmasters.

Our best prospect right now is Mas Hafizulhilmi Agus Rahman, a 15-year-old Malay schoolboy who has just scored 50 percent in the qualifying Zonal for our region. It was a tremendous result for him and for our country. Eduard Gufeld thinks very highly of the boy.

Parr: By one estimate, you have donated about $2 million to chess. Why?

Dato' Tan: Some people are born stupid. Just think how I could have invested those funds! But I already answered this question earlier. It is because I like chess and wish to be involved, and I'm proud of some of the things that I've done.

Parr: What are your outstanding contributions to chess?

Dato' Tan: Chess people best know me for helping to finance and find a venue for the 1984 USSR vs. the World Match, but I've done other things that have had a greater long-term value.

What Kerry Packer did for cricket, I have tried to do for chess. Around 1986 I fought very hard to rate rapid chess, which has contributed significantly to chess development and media interest in Asia. I also initiated the Asian Presidents' Conference which is held every two years at Olympiads. Campomanes has made it a regular feature in order to keep up communications among all of the Asian federations. Another innovation was my starting the Asian Team Championship in 1974 and the Asian Cities Championship in 1979. Both of these competitions have helped the Asian federations to come together in cooperation.

Parr: One last question. Do you take authentic pleasure from playing a lovely game of chess from start to finish?

Dato' Tan: I think I would. But I have yet to play such a game and can't tell you for sure.

Note: I would have liked to change all the American English spellings into proper international English but then decided to leave them alone to reflect the original idiosyncratic flavour of the American culture.

No comments: