Friday 9 June 2023

Rose Chan, I love you

There's an interesting story about the legendary striptease, Rose Chan, in The Malay Mail yesterday which can be read here. There was also a very popular song by Frankie Laine, called "Rose, Rose, I love you", which people think referred to Rose Chan. Whenever I think about this song, however, I am reminded of Zainal Alam's own rendition of this classic which he sang in the four main languages of this country. 

The lyrics to Frankie Laine's version of Rose, Rose, I Love You is reproduced below. 

Rose, Rose, I love you
With an aching heart
What is your future?
Now we have to part

Standing on the jetty
As the steamer moves away
Flower of Malaya
I cannot stay

Make way, oh, make way
For my Eastern Rose
Men crowd in dozens
Every one imposing

Just to glimpse my Eastern Rose
But she cried with lowly
"I love you, yes I do
Never leave me lonely"

Sail across the ocean
To the shores of ebony
Far across the water
To Malaya's coral sea

I hear a voice that calling me
And I know I must return
From Russia, snow to China sun
Our love will always burn

So goodbye, my love
Rose, my Eastern Rose
All the world must know
We will never part

Rose, Rose, I love you
With your almond eyes
Fragrant and slender
'Neath tropical skies

I must cross the ocean
To the shores of ebony
Far across the water
To Malaya's coral sea

I hear a voice that's calling me
And I know I must return
From Russia, snow to China sun
Our love will always burn

So goodbye, my love
Rose, my Eastern Rose
All the world must know
We will never part

But did this song really referred to Rose Chan? I posed the question to ChatGPT and this was the response:

There is a common misconception that the song "Rose, Rose, I Love You" is directly connected to Rose Chan. However, this connection is largely a result of speculation and urban legends.

While Rose Chan was a prominent burlesque performer in Singapore and Malaysia during the mid-20th century, there is no concrete evidence to support the claim that the song was specifically inspired by her or that it was written as a tribute to her.

The song "Rose, Rose, I Love You" was composed by Chen Gexin, a Chinese songwriter, and the lyrics were written by Wu Cun. The song became popular in China and was later covered by Frankie Laine in English. The association between the song and Rose Chan appears to be a later interpretation or rumour without substantial evidence.

It's important to approach such connections with caution and recognise that they might be based on speculation, hearsay or popular mythology rather than verified historical facts. The true origins and inspirations behind songs can sometimes become obscured or distorted over time.


No comments: