Saturday 5 August 2023

New views with vintage lens

It's my son's camera, a Nikon D5100 which he has stopped using - completely lost his interest in photography -  but with my even older lens attached. 

The lens from a time when digital cameras were not yet in vogue. This is the AF Nikkor 80-200mm f4.5-5.6 D lens. 

It had been lying in a dry camera box for at least 20 years and I didn't know what to do with it. But finally, I decided to fix it to my son's camera body to find out whether it's true that though the lens was still usable on a digital camera, several functions were disabled. 

And this proved quite correct as I couldn't use the auto-focus function at all. On some Nikon cameras, there would be a AF/MF switch but there is none on the D5100. What a bummer! 

Instead, I had to search for the focusing ring on the lens which turned out to be a thin ribbed ring at the end of the lens barrel. It was with this setup that I used to take this picture on Thursday morning at 7.10am. The first of two full moons in a month.

PS. The full moon occurred at about 2am on Wednesday but I was fast asleep. And woke up too late to catch a sight of it at six or seven o'clock in the morning. Dunno what I did on Wednesday night to miss the moon too, but luckily I happened to look out my bedroom window at 7am on Thursday and there was the moon hanging low in the sky. So, snap snap snap with the Nikon D5100 and Nikkor 80-200mm lens. Since everything was manual, there was a lot of fiddling with the shutter and aperture controls and the focusing ring. My verdict: must practice more with this setup to get the hang of things.


#NikonD5100 #VintageLens #OldMeetsNew #LensExploration #MoonCapture #LensOnDigital


No comments: