Saturday 5 October 2024

A Japanese experience

When I was in Kuala Lumpur for my chess competition last month, a friend suggested I check out the Don Don Donki outlet at the MidValley Megamall. I’d actually spotted one at Nu Sentral the day I arrived, but I didn’t fancy popping in to see what the fuss was about. So, when I eventually found myself at MidValley, I decided to give it a go. Boy, was it something! The place was unlike anything I’ve seen in Malaysia—it instantly reminded me of my brief trip to Japan about five years ago, walking the streets of Osaka. The brightly decorated grocery and sundry shops, especially at night, had the same overwhelming vibe. But now, I don’t need to hop on a plane to Japan for that experience. Just visit any Don Don Donki outlet in Kuala Lumpur, and I'll get a taste of that garishness right here. Now I’m left wondering, when will Penang get its own Don Don Donki? I'd like to immerse myself in this quirky Japanese culture again, but preferably not in KL.



No comments: