Tuesday, 8 September 2026

21st Malaysia chess festival

I've been back in Penang for several days now and am still trying to come to terms with my duties as the Fair Play Officer at the recent 21st Malaysian Chess Festival in Kuala Lumpur. There I was, spending nine full days at the playing venue, KL Gateway Mall. Originally, I intended to go down only to play in the Merdeka Rapid Chess Team Tournament as part of the PCA Penang Oldies team. But then Hamid invited me to lead the Fair Play team. 

I've known Hamid for ages, close to five decades if I'm not mistaken. He is a confirmed joker but he is also one of the old hands at organising chess in the country and a vastly experienced international arbiter. He holds an A-licence from FIDE, the only Malaysian to do so, while I'm only a D-licence holder. Two years ago, he was even appointed Chief Arbiter for the Ding Liren-Gukesh World Chess Championship match in Singapore. 

So when Hamid asked me to take on the role of Fair Play Officer, it was an interesting proposition. Fair Play is still a relatively new development in chess, although efforts to eliminate cheating in chess competitions have been going on for a very long time. For several decades, FIDE has required organisers of FIDE-rated tournaments to prevent participants from bringing mobile phones into the playing hall. Over time, this was extended to cover all electronic devices, including smartwatches. 

These Fair Play checks were instituted only for the three FIDE-rated events at the Chess Festival: the Open Classical, Challengers Classical and Seniors Classical tournaments. These were played over nine rounds using the standard time control of 90 minutes, with an additional 30 seconds for every move. All the other events, which had faster time controls, were not FIDE-rated and the controls were therefore much less strict. My Fair Play duties did not extend to them, which meant I could take things a little easier on days when there were no Classical games.

And how does one enforce that? Organisers are required to provide a place for players to leave their devices before entering the playing hall. Players are also physically scanned to make sure that no hidden devices are being brought in or taken out.

Even something as mundane as going to the toilet has to be considered. Separate facilities have to be provided for players so that they do not wander into public toilets and start chatting with non-players, whether accidentally or deliberately.  For this Malaysian Chess Festival, we used a QR-code scanning app to scan the identification tags of players whenever they used the toilet. 

Of course, during the games themselves, I spent much of my time walking around the playing hall and observing the players. That was part of the job. Occasionally, an arbiter would come to me to discuss certain behaviour he had noticed, and we would then keep a closer eye on the players concerned to see whether anything was amiss. 

As I mentioned earlier, my initial objective was to play for the PCA Penang Oldies team. Initially confident, I found the going tough and it has become increasingly difficult to hold my own against the opposition. and no wonder, year after year, the standard of the Merdeka Rapid Chess Team Tournament seems to get increasingly competitive.  

Personally, I had four losses in four games on the first day. It was an ignominious record by any standard. Things didn't improve very much on the second day when I lost another three games in a row before finally managing to pull back a little dignity by winning my last two games. I don't know what my team-mates thought of me! 

On paper, my friends in the OFA Penang team were surprisingly the first seeds. But there was never any pretence that they were the strongest team in the competition. In the end, they were overshadowed by several foreign-constituted teams as well as a number of strong local sides. Still, they did well enough to finish as the third-best Malaysian team in the competition. Not bad at all.

Perhaps I should also say a word or two about the three Classical tournaments. Over the nine rounds, there were no dubious calls that required us to take action. There was none although on one occasion we did subject a player in the Challengers section to a rather more than thorough body scan after his game was over!

The reason was that this particular player appeared to be running away with the top prize despite being unrated in standard chess. This raised a few red flags among the arbiters. So he was immediately placed under a little more scrutiny. 

Later, I was particularly curious about where he had obtained his FIDE rapid rating. Before coming to this Chess Festival, he had played only 16 rated games in two FIDE-rated events this year. That didn't tell me very much. But then I started digging a little deeper. Back in China, it turned out that the player had been competing in their internal tournaments registered under his Chinese name since 2023. He had played in a number of rapid chess events there and, more recently, had been doing rather well, finishing first or second in several competitions. And that explained quite a lot to me. 

As far as I could tell, this Malaysian Chess Festival was simply his first attempt at obtaining a FIDE standard chess rating. And he did it in splendid fashion which, I suppose, was a rather satisfying ending to our little investigation. Sometimes, a red flag is just something worth checking. And once having checked it, I discovered that there was absolutely nothing sinister about it after all.


No comments: