Tuesday, 1 September 2026

This fair play officer thingy


Completed my first day as Fair Play Officer at the 21st Malaysian Chess Festival. 
I came armed with lots of ideas on how to make things work, only to discover that most of them worked better in my head than they did in the KL Gateway’s internal floor design. In the end, it was finding the most practical solution to fulfil the anti-cheating guidelines, particularly where the washrooms were concerned.
I was terribly shorthanded as well. My assistants were doing what they were supposed to do, but because they had to remain static at their posts, there was little they could do to help with anything else.
So, in between trying to keep an eye on things, I found myself taking on a few additional roles: Fair Play Officer, food deliveryman and water boy. All in a day’s work. 😄
Nevertheless, Day One is done. One down, five more to go. Will I survive? Hopefully I’ll get better at this before the festival gets better at testing me.

No comments: