Wednesday 18 October 2023

Switchover

In recent weeks, my Unifi home broadband received a complimentary speed boost, leaping from 300Mbps to 500Mbps. Remarkably, this enhanced service comes at no additional cost. While my subscription rate remains at RM159 per month, it typically tallies up to RM168.55 due to service taxes and other associated fees. Notably, Maxis has recently reduced its monthly fee for the 500Mbps package to RM149, directly competing with Unifi. This situation takes on a somewhat amusing dimension, as Maxis is essentially piggybacking on Unifi's infrastructure. However, despite the lower cost, I don't anticipate switching back to Maxis anytime soon, as I had canceled that subscription a full year ago.

Now, onto the subject of mobile service providers. I've officially severed my contract with Maxis and transitioned to Unifi5G for my mobile services, all while retaining my current mobile number. The choice to switch was deliberate, and it wasn't long after terminating my Maxis contract that I received a call from a Maxis representative offering me a new, "improved" mobile plan. 

The sales pitch was convincing, and I was almost swayed until I decided to explore their website and discovered that their supposedly superior plan was still tied to their 4G network, while Unifi5G operated on their 5G network. This revelation solidified my decision to stick with Unifi5G, and there was no longer any question of returning to Maxis. The representative admitted defeat, and our conversation came to an end.

This experience underscores the nature of sales pitches. There's often pertinent information they omit until you probe deeper. My diligence in this case meant that I could enjoy the benefits of my new Unifi5G plan, rather than remaining tied to Maxis.

No comments: