Monday, 3 August 2026

A chess addict looks back

July was sort of a momentous month for me. Not only was I given an award by the Penang Governor and then invited to the reopening of the Penang State Museum a few days later, there was also the release of a 90-minute podcast by the people behind Penang Hidden Gems. But be forewarned that the podcast was filmed in February 2025 and only now made available for viewing on YouTube. And so, some of the circumstances and references that I mentioned in this podcast are out of date. More than a year later, I have more or less forgotten what we were talking about.

That was probably why, when I finally sat down to watch it, I found myself listening almost like any other viewer. The questions brought back memories of things that I had not thought about for quite some time.

The interview was supposed to be about me, but in reality, it became a journey through several chapters of my life, from banking, writing, chess and community work to Penang Free School and the many people and events that shaped my journey.

The hosts introduced me as someone they called a “multi-hyphenate” writer, blogger, chess enthusiast and, as I jokingly prefer to describe myself, a chess addict. I have to admit that “multi-hyphenate” sounds rather grand. I usually just think of myself as someone who has been curious about many things and somehow ended up doing a little bit of everything.

During my working life, I started out at Ban Hin Lee Bank, where I spent 23 years before moving into something completely different. I joined JobStreet as Editorial Manager, a move that took me from banking into the world of content and communications. It was a major change of direction, although not something I wasn't familiar with. Instead of dealing with systems and banking operations, I found myself working on articles, announcements and promotional materials. Anything that JobStreet wanted to publish publicly would pass through my hands before release.

But when the conversation began, the hosts quickly steered the discussion towards the subject that probably defines me more than any job I ever held: chess. That was how I first came into contact with them. Eugene, one of the hosts of the podcast, had seen me at chess events, including Penang Chess Association activities and the old Penang Free School Open. To them, I was the familiar figure who was always somewhere in the background organising things.

Moe jokingly called me part of the “chess Illuminati”. I suppose after more than five decades involved in chess, I cannot deny that I have spent a large part of my life lurking around chessboards. My journey with chess began quite late in my school life, after Form Three at Penang Free School. Those were the days when, after sitting for the Lower Certificate of Education examination, there was not much to do while waiting for the next school year to begin. I picked up a chess book, learnt the rules and started playing.

When I entered Form Four, I joined the school chess club. The seniors noticed that I could play reasonably well and invited me to join the junior team. That year, I represented the school in inter-school competitions. And I lost every single game. But that was probably the best education I could have received. Chess, like many things in life, teaches you through your failures. You lose, you learn, you improve and you come back stronger. 

Over the years, my involvement in chess evolved. I was no longer just a player but also became involved in organising tournaments and eventually as an arbiter. The arbiter ensures that the Laws of Chess are followed and resolves disputes when they occur. In the early days, disputes were more common, especially over the touch-move rule. If you deliberately touch a piece, you must move that piece if a legal move is available. Many players were unfamiliar with the rule and arguments would arise.

Another challenge was maintaining silence during tournaments. In those days, spectators were allowed to walk around and observe games. I still remember one gentleman who would go from board to board, look at the positions and loudly mutter suggestions to himself, “You should move this…” Of course, the players could hear him, and the organisers had to keep telling him: “Please move away. Quiet, please.” Fortunately, such incidents are much less common nowadays.

One topic that naturally came up was the Penang Chess Association. The association was founded in 1972, with the inaugural Annual General Meeting held at the then Penang Library on Farquhar Street. I was one of about 50 founder members. And more than 50 years later, I am the only founder member who is still actively involved. The hosts called me the “Yoda of Penang chess”. I am not sure whether I should be flattered or worried.

Looking back, I believe the Penang Chess Association has played an important role in developing chess in the state. Today, tournaments are being organised regularly, sometimes large events and sometimes smaller ones, but there is almost always something happening. The association has also received recognition from the Penang State Sports Council. A few years ago, we were placed in Category A, the highest category for sports associations. That was a proud moment because it showed that chess, despite being a mind sport, was receiving the same recognition as other sporting activities. And at the last SUKMA Games, chess contributed five gold medals. 

One of the interesting parts of the interview was discussing how much chess has changed over the decades. When I started playing, we learnt from books. If you were fortunate, you might find a stronger player willing to sit down and analyse games with you. 

Today, everything is different. A young player can watch the world's best players online, access databases containing millions of games and use computer engines that can analyse positions far beyond human ability. The youngsters today have opportunities that my generation could only dream about. That is why today's young players are so much stronger. 

But although technology has transformed chess, the essence of the game remains unchanged. The board is still 64 squares, each player still starts with 16 pieces, and the rules remain fundamentally the same. Yet every generation discovers something new and that's the beauty of chess. 

Perhaps the greatest attraction of chess is that it is one of the few activities where age and physical ability matter so little. A child can defeat an adult. A young player can compete against someone old enough to be his grandfather. Men and women can compete together. The board does not care about your age, your background or your physical limitations. It only demands that the player find the best move. And perhaps that is why, after all these years, I am still fascinated by those 64 squares. 

So watching the podcast was a little like opening an old photo album and the memories came flooding back. I am grateful to Eugene and Moe, the team behind Penang Hidden Gems, for giving me the opportunity to talk about the things that have been such a big part of my life: chess, writing, Penang and the many experiences that have come along the way.

Anyone interested in the full 90-minute conversation can watch it below. Just bear in mind that it was recorded in February 2025, so some references may be slightly dated. But then again, memories are like old chess games. Even years later, there is always something interesting to rediscover when you look back at them.

No comments: