Thursday 30 September 2021

Quicker than expected

When I told a friend that I needed to use a courier service to send some documents to Hungary, he advised me not to use the locally registered delivery services. Unreliable, if you are sending something overseas, he said. He should know better. Ever since he left BHL Bank, he had worked in the logistics sector of the economy. Which shall I use then, I asked. Go for the international courier companies, he said. They are reliable and ensure that your document or package will not get lost. 

Between DHL Express and FedEx, I finally settled on the latter to get my documents to Hungary. I dropped them off at a parcel hub in Bukit Mertajam last Saturday and the staff there said it would be picked up by FedEx on Monday. Fine, I replied, and what about tracking? Would I be able to track it all the way to its destination? I was assured, yes. 

So since Monday, I've been tracking my document on the FedEx website. Also updated the tracking settings so that I would be informed by email regularly of the delivery progress. The website said the document was expected to be delivered by 6pm today. That's not too bad, pick-up by the FedEx driver on Monday and drop-off on Thursday. 

It was fascinating watching the package hop from point to point. From Bayan Lepas international airport on Monday night, it went directly to Guangzhou in China, and on Tuesday morning a long hop across the continents to Europe, arriving at the Charles de Gaulle international airport in Paris, France at night. 

The document lingered there overnight before it headed out again. This time, to Vienna, Austria early Wednesday morning. It was then quickly picked up and delivered to the FedEx office in Budapest, Hungary. Finally, it was delivered to my friend at her apartment at 10.54am, local time on Wednesday itself. Three days, not four! A day ahead of schedule. Very efficient service, indeed. Couldn't ask for more.

No comments: