Tuesday 28 September 2021

Tan Joo Sin

Sad day, indeed, to learn of the demise of one of my old teachers two days ago. Tan Joo Sin had lived to a ripe old age. Close to a century of years, but I am unsure on which side of this landmark age. My previous story about her can be read here. [UPDATE: I've been informed that she was exactly a hundred years old.]

For many years, she was a long-term guest at the E&O Hotel, being waited on round-the-clock by her two Filipino maids. She had moved to the hotel after the death of a sister who was staying with her in their Barrack Road bungalow. The place had become too big for one person alone. Then about three years ago, I learnt that she had moved out from the hotel and had been admitted to the care centre of Island Hospital. Certainly, she was being well taken care of in her twilight years.

Occasionally, I do know of my friends from the school visiting her at the hotel. I have done so myself, twice or thrice. About four years ago, I decided on another visit. It was around Chinese New Year. My wife and I thought it would be good to bring her some festive cheer. That's how much my friends and I cherish our old teachers.

The Reception allowed us to go to her room after receiving the go-ahead from one of her maids. But we did not know that she was sleeping. And her maid did not indicate that she was sleeping. We knocked on the door and was let in. The other maid tried to inform the sleeping Tan Joo Sin that there were guests but we all got a big shock when she, without opening her eyes, simply shouted, "Tidor, Tidor!" 

I don't know who were more embarrassed, my wife and I or the two maids. But it was very clear that we would not be able to meet her. It was a very uneasy moment. At that point, I had to break the tension. Therefore, we decided to leave immediately, not wanting to disturb her further. Unfortunately, that would be the very last time that I saw her. Rest in peace, Tan Joo Sin.

 

No comments: