So willy-nilly, I'll be involved again because I'm still registered as a voter there. While destiny is in my hands, the big question is, when will it be?
I've been reading that there are just three easy steps. According to the Constitution, a by-election must be held to fill a vacancy caused by resignation, death or disqualification of an incumbent member.
- The MP (assuming he's not dead) sends a letter of resignation to the Parliament speaker;
- The speaker informs the Election Commission of the vacancy; and
- The Election Commission then fixes a date for the by-election within 60 days from the date of vacancy
- The speaker receiving the letter of resignation. He could be away overseas, so he cannot open the letter until he returns home or until his office sends it to him by snail mail (not email);
- The speaker officially informing the Election Commission by snail mail too;
- The Election Commission receiving the snail mail and then deliberating on an appropriate date for the by-election.