Monday 4 January 2016

Li Chun (立春), 2016


Today being the fourth of January, there is just one month to go before the start of Li Chun (立春) on 4 February 2016. 

The significance of Li Chun (or Lip Chun which was how my grandmother and mother used to say it) is that to the Chinese all around the globe, this is the day for the Coming of Spring. The day, which I had explained last year, when the sun is deemed to have crossed the 315° longitude in the sky.

This year, Li Chun coincides with the 26th day of the Chinese lunar calendar, which means the Chinese New Year celebrations would only be four days away. According to the Joey Yap book, The Ten Thousand Year Calendar, which I consult at about this time every year, Li Chun will occur at 5.48 p.m. on 4 February 2016.

At this time, if you are like me, you will get ready to stick a new piece of decorative red paper with the Chinese character 春 (Chun) on the family rice bucket. I will also be filling up my rice bucket to the brim with uncooked rice to signify abundance. Happy Li Chun, everyone!

Meantime, here are my past blog entries on this Chinese festival:
Li Chun, 2015
Li Chun, 2014
Li Chun, 2013
Li Chun, 2012
Li Chun, 2011
Li Chun, 2010
Li Chun, 2009
Li Chun, 2008
Li Chun, 2007