Thursday 24 May 2007

UTAR

I returned from Petaling Jaya last night. Was there for two days, having driven my daughter down to the Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman where she will be starting her studies from Monday. She wanted to be there early to attend the orientation briefing.

Yes, my daughter has left home and my wife and I are so reluctant to see her leave the roost. We know it is only Kuala Lumpur and Petaling Jaya, and she is a mere telephone call away, a mere four hours' drive away, a mere 364km away (yes, that's the exact distance from our house to her hostel) but it is still difficult enough to let go.

As parents, we tend to forget that she is no longer a child. As a young adult, it is time to let her go and we'll have to adjust to not seeing her so often. It's a brave new world for her outside Penang and I told her she must go and enjoy herself during the next two years. Study hard and play hard, because she must make full use of this opportunity to learn inside and outside campus. She's really excited about this new phase in her life.

2 comments:

ling said...

Hi! I'm blog-hopping and was googling to read of people's opinions about the UTAR orientation that has passed. I'm starting my Bachelor's Degree there this Monday too and stumbled on your blog when you blog about your daughter's departure. It is indeed sweet to see of how as a father you are finding it hard to let go. Hope both your wife and you will be able to cope well without your daughter's presence! What course is your daughter doing?

Anonymous said...

well..I guess you need to take that leap in faith. I'm sure she'll do well