Wednesday 22 August 2007

Some old chess pals

Here are two chess illuminaries that I bumped into whilst at the CitiTel Hotel in Kuala Lumpur.

The first is Ignatius Leong, the secretary-general of the World Chess Federation who is based in his hometown, Singapore. He was around for a day to take a peek at the Malaysian Chess Festival. I've known him since the mid-1970s when he brought a group of Singaporean chess players to Penang as part of a tour that also took him to Ipoh and KL. My, that was a very long time ago and we have been keeping in touch all these years. He married recently and let me take this opportunity to wish him a belated blissful wedded life. Sorry, mate, I was too caught up with some domestic problems here in Penang at that time.

The second is Murray Chandler, originally from New Zealand who now makes England his home. I first knew him in 1974 at the inaugural Asian Team Chess Championship in Penang. At that time, he was a mere 14-year-old, all long haired and in shorts, while I was just six years older. Our ages today are still six years apart, haha! But he has now progressed to become a grandmaster. Me? I'm quite satisfied to stay as an international arbiter.

No comments: