Tuesday 6 November 2007

James Taylor


What's your favourite James Taylor song? I can't finger any particularone to be a favourite but I know that Fire And Rain and Carolina In My Mind are equal favourites.

Fire And Rain has such a message of despair. It's sad and heart-rending. But then, it's also a song of hope. What lifts up the song is the percussion bit towards its end.

Carolina In My Mind comes from his first album, his one and only album on the Apple label. I was so impressed with my vinyl copy that I just had to buy the CD when it was finally released.

Among the other vinyls in my collection, the Mud Slide Slim album stands out with You Can Close Your Eyes. The quality of this song easily surpasses his interpretation of the Carole King number, You've Got A Friend.

James Taylor, like Carole King, is an accomplished communicator. His songs, simple yet complicated, speak to you from his heart. He puts so much emotion into them that you really feel his anguish.

It's impossible for me to do anything more to describe my admiration for James Taylor's work except to put up this image of the records and CDs that I have of him. Get them and soon you'll be transported into his world too.

No comments: