Tuesday 18 September 2007

My vanda orchid's spiking! (1)

Watching my orchid grow a spike is an interesting learning curve because I've never ever seen it before. Of course, partly to blame is the fact that I've never taken any interest in orchid cultivation before. I'm very much a novice and needs the advice of the experienced orchid enthusiasts. And being a novice means I'm at the mercy of unscrupulous orchid growers like this chap from Perlis who sold me an orchid with a fungus growth and not telling me about it, and then leaving the fungus to spread on my plant.

Anyway, watching the spike grow day by day is a joy. I first notice the tip of the bud appearing on the plant on 23 Aug but it became much clearer by 25 Aug. Then gradually, the spike grew longer and longer and I could see the flower buds appear. Ah...let the pictures speak for themselves, okay? There'll be more photos posted as the plant begins to flower.










No comments: