Monday 1 October 2007

Bee Loh Photo Supplies

Ever since i bought my first camera in the early 1980s - my Canon A1 - I have never gone to a camera shop other than Bee Loh Photo Supplies Enterprise (M) Sdn Bhd in Upper Penang Road, Penang.

The shop was a long-time account holder of the old Ban Hin Lee Bank and I got to know some of their staff well when I was working the counters in the bank. I bought my Nikon from them and I also purchased my present Dimage Z5 there.

Today, I telephoned the shop to make some enquiries about a flash unit for my camera but the shop's telephone number was no longer valid. Sensing that it couldn't be, I called one of my contacts on his mobile, only to learn that the shop had ceased operation some six months ago.

Okay, I knew as far back as two years ago that Bee Loh was facing many challenges. But I had thought that having been opened for some 50 years or more, it could have survived any economic downturn. Unfortunately, it was not to be. It has closed shop. Another establishment in Penang has disappeared.

No comments: