Tuesday 30 October 2007

Penang's pride: the Teluk Bahang forest park

I wrote last Saturday about the quiet and greenery of a little stream that flowed in Teluk Bahang and Jeffrey made an apt comment that he too would like to be there if the water was clearer.

Actually, I had refrained purposely from saying anything about the pollution at the Teluk Bahang forest park to see if anyone would notice it. Unfortunately, only Jeffrey did. Unfortunately, none of my colleagues who were there for a team-building programme noticed it. Or if they did, they didn't say anything at all.

BUT HEY....IT'S ABOUT YOUR ENVIRONMENT TOO!! Don't clam up when you see the environment destroyed by the irresponsible visitors to the forest park.

Take this sign. It's located about 50 metres from the entrance to the park. You cannot miss it unless you are blind.


I don't know whether it's sending the right signals to the visitors or not. Is it an invitation to the people to throw rubbish or is it an acknowledgement that only dumb and stupid people visit this place and they can throw rubbish all around them?

As I walked further along the park trail, I came across this small patch behind a hut that has become the dumping ground for rubbish. I only have one conclusion: the people responsible for looking after this park are not doing a proper job. By not clearing up the rubbish, they are actually encouraging more people to dirty the place!


It gets worse as you walk further along. This time, the rubbish was out in the open. Discarded plastic bags and styrofoam plates, which are not bio-degradable. I think these two final pictures are enough. I don't have to tell you more about the soiled diapers beside the stream. How irresponsible can people be??


1 comment:

Jeffrey Chew said...

It shows my friend...that putting up posters and telling people not to litter serve one main purpose - just a show ... and no will to resolve the issues. I am so bloody shocked