Friday 12 October 2007

Space tourist

Did you see how the average Malaysian Joe and Jane had gone ga-ga over our space tourist, whose trip was paid for with the taxes from our hard-earned money? Hero-worshipping has started. That's the talk in all the kampungs across the length and breadth of the country.

Of course, I don't deny him the idolation of the local Joes and Janes - he deserved it after winning this lottery - but I hope there will be a limit to how the people will react. For the next few years at least, our space tourist will be in the limelight.

His admirers will cling to every word he says and his body language will be closely scrutinised and interpreted. He won't ever be the same again. Every action of his will be emulated and people will forgive - or worse, copy - each and every indiscretion he will make.

Therein, I'm afraid, lies the danger. Fear, if I may call it. Because every man (and woman) who has ever gone into space has come back with a different perspective about life on earth. Many have gone into space and returned with a greater religious fervour.

If this fervour is not channelled correctly and our space tourist does not have his feet planted firmly on the ground after his return, I am afraid his thoughts and actions may have a profound effect on the general Malaysian population who try to use him as a role model.

I will dread if that were to happen because it will be very hard for any person or government to contain the resulting backlash. At this stage, I can only hope that I am terribly wrong....

No comments: