Monday 28 April 2008

Income tax blues

Ahh .... so finally, I've finished our income tax returns. Both mine and my wife's. I had been struggling with them the whole of the weekend but today, I've dropped off our Borang BEs at the Income Tax Department. The department is open till late at night until 30 Apr 2008 (that's the deadline) but it was a strange eerie feeling when I walked into the foyer today at about 7pm. There was only a trickle of people there and the two depository bins were hardly one-eighth full. Where are the people?

Anyway, as I struggled through my Borang BEs, I took the opportunity to listen to some of my vinyl records. It was a distraction but I really needed that distraction. I took out the records, ran them through running water and wiped all the dust from them. Only then did I play them on my Rega Planar 3 turntable.

Here's a picture of some of the records I listened to. Ella Fitzgerald with her fine, jazzy voice singing Cole Porter's songs like Anything Goes and Begin The Beguinne, Rhythm Heritage with some of their finest disco-fied songs like Baretta's Theme and Theme From SWAT, Harry Belafonte with his memorable folksy renditions of Cu Cu Ru Cu Cu Paloma and Danny Boy and Robben Ford sizzling on his blues guitar.


Oh yes, I should also mention that I was listening to John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers' A Hard Road that featured Peter Green(baum). That's another scintillating blues axeman. After Green left Mayall's group, he formed Fleetwood Mac.

No comments: