Monday 1 September 2008

Deodato's Also Sprach Zarathustra

I don't know why but in the last 30-odd years, I've always been under the impression that Eumir Deodato was Greek. Well, he's not. I've just learnt that he's Brazilian! A bloody good, brilliant Brazilian jazz musician in my opinion, because lately, I've not been able to get enough of his interpretation of Richard Strauss' Also Sprach Zarathustra. It's kind of like rumbling out of control in my head.

And it's all because of Dave (the VinylMorpher man) who included this track of Deodato's in his Pure Jazz Funk radio show recently. Since then, I've been listening to this song over and over again - at least 10 times yesterday in the car, over the home hifi system and on the Internet - and I've been threatened with civil disobedience on the domestic front should I continue with this obsession. You see, my family has told me that they are already quite sick of this piece of music. Nevertheless, it's wonderful music.

No comments: