Thursday 23 October 2008

Bat-like gargoyle

Or gargoyle-like bat. Anyway, I noticed this strange decoration atop a building along Campbell Street in George Town recently. It looked like a bat but it also looked so like a gargoyle. So what is it?

I wonder what's the story behind this. I know that bats are supposed to be symbols of good luck but in this case, the luck seems to have rubbed off on only one of the two shophouses that share this decoration. Of the two, one is a goldsmith shop but the other is abandoned.

1 comment:

LovePenang said...

My house just next to this beautiful building, I'm feel sadly because the peoples there never really appreciated the heritage and take good care of this building. They're our history and treasure. I wished the Government should protect them. not to destroy them.