Saturday 11 April 2009

Reflection

I believe that I may have waited for more than a year to capture this scene. Everything gelled together: the full moon low in the sky, the reflection in the water, myself going to work at 6am on a Friday, crossing the Penang Bridge at the right moment and a place to stop the car momentarily at a stretch of the bridge's unopened third lane. This was the best shot from about eight or nine pictures that I took - the rest were blurred from the long shutter speed (2.5 seconds handheld but resting against the bridge's concrete railing -- apparently not good enough to cut down on camera shake as I could feel the road rumble whenever heavy vehicles passed me by).


Note: why did I say that I had waited about a year to take this photo? It's because the last time I saw a similar scene - the full moon and it's reflection in the water off the Penang Bridge - was about a year ago. Unfortunately at that time, I didn't have the camera with me but even if I did, there wasn't a place to park on the bridge then. So it was quite a providence that everything clicked together yesterday morning.

3 comments:

XMOCHA said...

Truly wondrous SS!! love the pic!

stephen said...

Great shot.A pity about the shake.Wonder if the steady shot function could have cured that.You're an early bird!

SS Quah said...

Stephen, the anti-shake was already turned on. Anyway, the anti-shake feature is not a cure-all solution. It was the extra-long shutter speed that caused the problem.