Monday 13 July 2015

Helping out Ooi Eow Jin


I am actually very humbled that my original story on forgotten music maestro Ooi Eow Jin had generated so much interest in the country and rally around many people who would like to see OEJ under happier circumstances.

I would like to do more for OEJ but as I do not stay in Kuala Lumpur, I have to depend a lot on my contacts there to get information on the latest developments regarding his predicament.  For this, Jimmy Yeoh - an Old Free like myself and yes, Ooi Eow Jin himself - has been the forerunner of a movement to raise funds for the old couple and their son. I thank him for all the work done so far and the work that still has to be done in the months ahead.

One of the latest messages that Jimmy sent me mentioned that two days ago, he had visited Eow Jin and his family in their present humble abode. His message reads:
"SS and all our friends on your page, I had a great meeting with EJ and his wife though his son was not able to join us as his condition is rather bad. EJ's son has two tumours in his head (one in the front and one behind the head, and it would seem that a third has recently appeared, very worrying if I may say).
"Re the need for a bank account to receive contributions, EJ's wife has asked me to be the temporary recipient of all funds until a special account for the OEJ Fund can be arranged and completed. For that, I will be asking OFA KL/Selangor members to get a lawyer member of the alumni to do the necessary to register such an account after which money collected by me and Lai Mei Kuan can be then transferred to the official OEJ Fund account." 
Ms Lai Mew Kuen is, of course, organising the first concert for Ooi Eow Jin's benefit this coming 19th of July in Petaling Jaya. The details of Jimmy's temporary account to collect money is shown below. I would like to remind people that once you transfer any fund to this account, please take a screenshot of the transaction, or print the details, and email the image to Jimmy to inform him. This is IMPORTANT, while we await the setting up of a proper OEJ Fund soon.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you SS Quah for doing this write up. It has moved me. I have seen Mr. Ooi playing at Majestic Hotel before, but never knew of his story.

Setting up a proper bank account a good idea. I would like to help by making a bank transfer.

Is there a way we can confirm, for sure, that the money gets through and is passed to Mr. Ooi's family?

Unknown said...

Yes. I do agree that all proceeds must be securely forwarded to Uncle Ooi and his family. They need the money very much. Mr. Jimmy Yeoh, please assist to take very good care of the money for them. We all would like Uncle Ooi and family to be well taken care of. Thank you.

Unknown said...

Yes. I do agree that all proceeds must be securely forwarded to Uncle Ooi and his family. They need the money very much. Mr. Jimmy Yeoh, please assist to take very good care of the money for them. We all would like Uncle Ooi and family to be well taken care of. Thank you.