Monday 18 September 2017

Old pirate


I was given this old record by a former colleague from my banking days when I was down in Parit Buntar last month. Obviously, he doesn't have a use for it now as he doesn't own a turntable any more. So I very gladly accepted the gift.

The record is not an original press; it is what was once popularly known as a pirated record. That is, a locally pressed record by some unknown enterprise to satiate the needs of music lovers who would like compilations without bursting their bank accounts. The record was  slightly warped and very dirty. The record label was dirty as well. A thick layer of brown gunky stuff came off when I cleaned it. But I was surprised that after I got the gunk off, the sound quality was acceptable. In fact, very acceptable. And what songs were on it?


Side 1: When will I see you again (Three Degrees), Whatever gets you thru the night (John Lennon), My melody of love (Bobby Vinton), Tonight (The Rubettes), Dirty Old man (Three Degrees), Angie baby (Helen Reddy), Bank of the Ohio (Olivia Newton-John), Honey honey (Abba)
Side 2: Love me for a reason (The Osmonds), Please Mr Postman (Carpenters), Somethin' about you baby I like (Tom Jones), #9 dream (John Lennon), Never ending song of love (Bobby Vinton), The bitch is back (Elton John), Free and easy (Helen Reddy), The river's too wide (Olivia Newton-John)




No comments: