Saturday 7 July 2018

Interesting Friday


I can't say that I didn't enjoy yesterday, because I did! The day began with a timsum breakfast with friends at the Ben Ran Chinese Restaurant in a new hotel that had opened in nearby Machang Bubok several months ago. Truly interesting tidbits for the morning stomach.

Immediately after breakfast, I rushed out to the island where I ended up at the Gurney Plaza after a brief stopover at the Penang Institute. Was at the shopping mall to spend my RM30 voucher on some household stuff before the expiration date.

And since I was there, I took the opportunity to visit the new Ippudo Japanese ramen restaurant. I thought that there shouldn't be too big a crowd on a weekday but I was mistaken. Found out that there was a queue outside the outlet. However, there was an advantage to turning up solo at the restaurant because the staff was able to squeeze me in to sit at the counter. Nevertheless, I had to endure a wait of almost an hour before the food arrived.

Ever since my visit to Japan last year, I've found happiness in a bowl of Tonkotsu ramen and Ippudo served five or six different types of this soupy dish. At first undecided which one to order, I tried to order the Ippudo Kuro Tamago but was told that it was already sold out. What? Sold out at 12.50 pm? I was skeptical. I think the staff was not exactly telling the truth. If they were not selling this variety of their Tonkotsu ramen,  just say so. Don't give a preposterous excuse that I can't accept. I didn't want to make a scene and so, I ended up instead with the Akamaru Tamago which was basically the Akamaru Shinaji with a salted soft-boiled egg.

After lunch was over, it was a rush down to the Think City office at the UAB Building in China Street Ghaut. Anwar Fazal - a font of information on many things, especially culture, heritage and consumerism - whom I've known for several years already, was launching his latest book called Our Cities, Our Homes. Anwar Fazal is also the president of the Dr Wu Lien-Teh Society of which I'm there as a member of the committee.

Met up with a few friends and acquaintances at the book launch, including Dr Choong Sim Poey whom I've known even longer, and Maimunah Mohd Sharif who is now the executive director of United nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat). Prior to her being head-hunted for this top job, she was the president of the Seberang Prai Municipal Council (MPSP) and then the president of the Penang Island City Council (MBPP). But I've known her even before that ... during her stint as the first General Manager of the George Town World Heritage Incorporated before she got elevated to the MPSP top job. Anwar Fazal, ever full of surprises, presented her with a certificate of membership to the International Giraffe Appreciation Society.






No comments: