Friday 17 May 2019

A different view of KL



We were off to Kuala Lumpur for two days earlier this week. Took the morning ETS train from the Bukit Mertajam station and watched a colourful sunrise.

The train journey itself was uneventful but the carriage was cold. Luckily, my wife had brought her jacket along while I borrowed her scarf to cover my hands. Still, it was cold and only a cup of hot kopi-o could keep them somewhat warm for a short while. We kept ourselves entertained watching the on-board TV programme.

Arrived at KL Sentral on time. That's what I've got to say about the ETS service: their trains are now almost punctual to a fault; perhaps 95 percent of the time the trains arrive or depart on time, which is excellent. Anyway, we arrived at the station in Kuala Lumpur just slightly after noon. So where would like to eat, I asked my wife. But without waiting for her answer, I suggested an Indian vegetarian restaurant about 200 metres away. After all, we were practically in the Brickfields area and we weren't laden with any big bag to lug around.

So off we went to this place called Mr Naan and Mrs Idly. Quite a unique name for a restaurant. We forsook the offered buffet lunch and opted for the menu items. Rava dosa for the missus and kashmiri naan for me. Also ordered the palak paneer and a plate of their bendi masala. Superb quality vegetarian food. Quite satisfying, indeed.

From there, we proceeded to check in at this hotel called the Regalia Suite. It's somewhere off the Chow Kit area. The closest LRT station was PWTC but it would require you to walk quite a distance around the Sunway Putra Mall. It's definitely easier to catch a taxi or a Grab car from wherever you are. You'll be dropped right at the hotel's doorstep.

Our room was on the 37th floor with a breath-taking view westwards. The room was decently spacious enough and clean. My only unsatisfactory comment is that there wasn't any complimentary bottle of water in the room. I would expect that two bottles of mineral water would be standard in any hotel worldwide.

On the same floor was their swimming pool. My wife had brought her swimming suit along when I told her that there was a pool. But I hadn't told her about the infinity pool and therefore, she was greatly surprised.

Me? I don't swim. Thus, no swimming trunks for me. No, thank you. I'll just sit on the deck chair and look across the far edge of the pool at a mesmerising view of the Kuala Lumpur skyline.

It's such a nice hotel, you know. From the poolside, you can sit, sip whatever drink you want, feast your eyes on the ladies swimming or look further away at the Twin Towers, the KL Tower and all the high-rise buildings from left to right. That's what I did.

Later at night, you can return to the same spot and watch the ever-blinking lights of the KL skyline. It was quite an experience.








No comments: