Sunday 19 May 2019

Wesak moon


Picture taken at 6.06 am this morning
Most people tend to look at the full moon only at night but it is also possible to view the moon in the early hours of dawn. That was what I did this morning, not because I had purposely woken up to look at it but because the bright moon was visible through the window and the moonlight had woken me up.

I grabbed my camera, fiddled with the settings on the zoom lens and shot off a few frames using the maximum f-stop (f5.6 only, unfortunately, as this was a kit lens that came with the camera) and playing with the shutter speeds. But it was good enough and I finally got one shot that I was happy with.

The time was 6.06 am. As the full moon had occurred at 5.11 am, I was actually 55 minutes off the mark. But to the naked eye, the round image of the full moon was still there. Now, if I had taken the picture only at night, I would have seen some very slight blurring on the southern edge of the moon as that segment would have begun to move into the shadow of the earth. So I was a bit lucky to have seen the moon in the morning instead of the evening.


No comments: