Wednesday 10 July 2019

Ippudo service


On a recent trip to Kuala Lumpur, my daughter and I ended up at the Ippudo Japanese ramen restaurant at The Gardens Mall in the Midvalley complex. We both ordered the same bowl of ramen, the Kuro Tamago, which comes with a complete salted soft boiled egg. We tucked heartily into the ramen when it arrived. Yum!


Then I took my first bite on my tamago egg. What's this? The yolk was almost solid. That's their tamago egg? I called one of the staff over. "Is this what you called a soft boiled egg?" I asked him. He took a look and told me yes, that was how their tamago egg looked like. I looked at him. He slunked away from my table. Without an apology.


Obviously, I wasn't satisfied. I called another staff over. "Say, your tamago egg, why does it look like this?" This time, the Ippudo staff was all apologetic. Wait a second, she said. Then she returned with an empty bowl to take away my egg to the kitchen. And in a jiffy returned with a new egg.


"Please see whether this egg is okay," she said. So I poked my chopsticks into the egg and presto! it was all soft and gooey inside. Just like how a proper tamago egg should be. Methinks, Ippudo should simply sack that first staff of theirs without question. Or at the very least, retrain him.


No comments: