Saturday 31 August 2019

Ola Bola the musical


Spent a wonderful afternoon at the old Majestic cinema in Jalan Khoo Sian Ewe to watch Ola Bola the Musical.

Based on the locally-produced football-themed film, Ola Bola, which thrilled the nation three years ago, the musical version brought a feel good feeling to everyone on this Merdeka Day.

What could be more spine-tingling than to sing Negaraku in the cinema hall at the start of the show? All around me - in front, at the back and on both sides - people were singing the national anthem with so much gusto and pride. Today was well and truly a day for all Malaysians.

I was told about this musical last week by my daughter. She had seen the musical not once but twice when it made its first run in Kuala Lumpur last year, and then when she learnt that it would be staged in Penang this weekend, she insisted that I should go and watch it.

It was a lucky thing that I happened to be on the island on the 28th because I collected the tickets then. Today as my wife and I joined the queue to get into the Majestic, many people without tickets were turned away because the hall was full. Full House not only for the two o'clock show but also the five o'clock and eight o'clock ones, the only three shows that Enfiniti Productions would have in Penang. And it was a rich mix of Malaysians of all races watching the performance. All brothers and sisters cheering on the stage performers through their highs and their lows.












No comments: