Monday 2 December 2019

Dangerous junction



This is the Tingkat Muhibbah 7/Jalan Jernih junction in my quiet neighbourhood. In the past few years, this dangerous junction has seen a fair share of accidents, some serious and some not quite so serious, because motorists and motorcyclists tend to forget their traffic rules and speed right across from one side to the other.

Traffic along Tingkat Muhibbah 7 has the right of way and traffic along Jalan Jernih are required to stop at the junction first before turning right or left, or going straight across. Problem is, people tend to ignore this traffic rule or not notice the junction at all.

Previously, I had known of a fatal accident occurring right here. Somebody must have got killed because one day, I noticed joss sticks being burnt by the road side. But that was about six or seven years ago. Nevertheless, I had always tried to remind friends, especially if they are the drivers and I'm a passenger in their cars, to be careful when they approach the junction.

Just last week, I learnt that there was another fatality here. On Friday, a motorcyclist had been knocked down. The injuries must have been very serious because he was warded at the hospital in Bukit Mertajam. Unfortunately, he never recovered and passed away four days later. It was heart-breaking or his mother. She was beyond consolation at the funeral. Sad, indeed.

(As an afterword, there is another similarly dangerous junction in Chai Leng Park. I've sped across it once before before I realised its danger. Luckily, there was no on-coming traffic from either left or right. It was so easy to miss the junction at Lorong Kurau 1 and Jalan Kurau, but today I am very careful when driving there.)


No comments: