Tuesday 24 March 2020

Sand storm


The current order to control the movement of people around the country as the government attempts to break the spread of the coronavirus means that I have the time to catch up a bit on my stories. Here's one. It was meant to be written at the end of last month. My friend, Siang Jin, was in town and on a Friday morning, the 21st of February, we had assembled at the school to discuss our preparations for the student leadership workshop for the fourth and fifth formers.

We finished early and decided to go to the Ocean Green Restaurant in town for lunch. I hadn't been there for quite a while. The food was good, as always. But this was not what i want to talk about. After we had parted company at the end of the meal, I walked to the beach front to take in the sights and trying out some features on my camera. Funny, I've had this Olympus E-PL7 for several years already but I've very seldom played around with these features.

So there I was, moving about the beach, snapping merrily away on my camera and taking a good look at the faraway Gurney Drive when I was puzzled to see some haziness covering up the view along the coast line. I only took one or two snapshots before my attention was diverted elsewhere, but imagine my surprise when I learnt later that Gurney Drive had been affected by a very rare sand storm. The Malay Mail newspaper had reported the phenomenon here.




No comments: