Monday 3 August 2020

Eventful July (Part three)


So after the ice cream, house router, the Kongsi's caretaker and the car battery, what other event of significance could still await me in July? Thankfully, the month ended on an all's well note. My son said he would be bringing back a new television set for the house. A SHARP 50-inch television set to replace the SONY 40-inch which we have had for quite some time already. I tried to remain cool but inwardly I was looking forward to this new electrical item in the house.

So many questions to ask. How high would it stand on the television cabinet? Would I have to tilt my head backwards to watch the screen? Would it connect well to the house WiFi? Was it a 4K set? My answers were answered when I unboxed the set. Yes, it was so much more bigger than the old TV. Took my son and I just to lift it up onto the cabinet. Not that it was heavy. It was unwieldy, and it took up more space on the cabinet. But surprisingly, I felt comfortable watching it from the couch. No need to tilt my head back more than necessary. No need to buy a new cabinet to place this TV set.

And it connected well to the house WiFi. Better than the Sony ever did. And more intuitive too. The on-screen menu walked me through the installation process rather quickly. Less manoeuvring with the up, down, left and right functions on the remote control. But no, it wasn't a 4K set. A bit of disappointment there, but never mind. At least it came with Android TV functions. My face lit up. I was able to access my Netflix account, as also to my Spotify account. Connecting to YouTube and TuneIn were a breeze too. I plugged in my thumbdrive. No problem watching movies from there. However, I did not find a digital audio output on the set. That means I can't hook up my soundbar to the Sharp TV with my optical cable. I tried connecting the set to the soundbar with an RCA cable. So far, no success. There must be something I have missed. Will have to investigate further.

Meanwhile, I find that I've been spending too much time in front of this new television set. Watching too much Netflix movies and too much of YouTube. Should begin cutting down the time sitting in front of this smart idiot box, or else everything else will suffer. My work will suffer. Will have to make up for the lost time already.

So these were the few things that happened to me and my household in July. Might not have seem much to other people but to me, they were plentiful. What began pleasantly, ended pleasantly too. But in the middle were discomforting. Could do without them. Anyway, I hope August will be back to normal for me.



No comments: