Saturday 19 June 2021

12 years ago

Twelve years ago. That would be 2009. I was still gainfully in full employment then. But fast approaching my 55th birthday. At that time, the statutory age for retirement, not 60 years of age yet. I could have gone on for a further five years but no offer came from the company. So it was a year of winding down for me. No worries except to ponder what life would be after retirement. Totally dressed down too. Going to work at 8.30 in the morning and leaving the office at 5.30 in the afternoon. Many days, I would choose to come to work earlier, usually turning up at 7.30am and leaving at 4.30pm. But sometimes, I'd even arrive at seven o'clock and open up the office, then leave at 4.00pm. Such flexibility 12 years ago.

The 19th of June 2009 was a typical day of coming in early and leaving early. And, arriving back in Bukit Mertajam even before the jam started on the bridge, I'd head straight for the hill in Cherok Tokun. A regular weekly hike through the hill trails until I reached the tea house halfway up. Then I'd look for my favourite bench nearby, plonk myself down to enjoy the cool breeze and watch other hikers making their way up or down the tar road. I'd stay there for half an hour, 45 minutes perhaps, before walking down the hill to the car park. 

That was a typical day in 2009. I don't do hill hikes nowadays except for very special occasions. It's partly due to the pandemic. The recreation park is closed off during the Movement Control Orders. Besides, I fear that the knees may not take the punishment of pounding on the tarred hill road anymore. Therefore, my afternoon exercises have become walks around the neighbourhood. Such is life.


No comments: