Friday 25 June 2021

The strawberry moon

This picture was probably the closest I could get to a technically full moon since the beginning of the year. According to the Time and Date website, the moon would have been at its 100 percent fullest or roundest at 2.38am on the morning of 25 June. I had hoped to wake up at around 2.15am to prepare myself for a photo session but then at 10.15pm, I decided to take some pictures of the moon (probably at 99.9 percent full) in case I was too sleepy to get out of bed. Besides which, the sky was very clear and the moon was very illuminated. After all, it was also a supermoon, meaning that the moon was at about its closest distance to the earth this year and looked bigger than normal. 

Good thing I did this because I did sleep well through this time. When I did stir at about four o'clock, I was wondering why the moonlight was not streaming through the window. Then I realised that there were thick clouds in the sky. The moon was no-where visible although a dim patch of lighter clouds was the indication that the moon was there. Even at around 6am when I awoke again, the clouds had not cleared sufficiently to let through the moonlight. So, yes, it was a good thing that I did manage to photograph the moon at 10.15pm last night. Better a bird in the hand than two in the bush.




No comments: