Thursday 26 August 2021

I am not your drummer

This anecdote was picked up from facebook. If it came from Keith Richards' autobiography, then there must have been a very great element of truth in it: our favourite Charlie Watts story.

In 1984, the Stones were in Amsterdam. Keith and Mick returned to the hotel at 5:00 AM. Mick wanted to talk with Charlie. 

“Don’t call him, not at this time,” said Keith. “But he did, and said: ‘Where is my drummer?’ There was no answer, and he hung up the phone.”

According to Keith, 20 minutes later someone knocked on the door of the room he was in with Mick. It was Charlie, who, far from showing up in his pajamas at that hour, looked perfectly dressed in a suit, tie and perfume.

“I opened the door and he didn’t even look at me, he walked right past me, stood in front of Mick and said, ‘Never call me your drummer again. I am not your drummer, you are my damn singer.' Then he grabbed him by the lapels of his jacket. and gave him a right hook “, Richards recounted.


No comments: