Wednesday 8 September 2021

Oh, dice!

Got inspired by the six pieces of dice that I found in the chess set that accompanied the moon cakes from the Grand Hyatt Hotel in Kuala Lumpur a few days ago, and have been using them for some photography sessions. Here's one of the better ideas: the brilliant red standing out from the darkness of the box and the deep blue pieces. Yes, the pieces are not black but dark blue.


Anyhow, this concept is not new. Almost five decades ago, the rock group Bad Company had released their second studio album called Straight Shooter and the cover art had featured two pieces of dice on a craps table. The image must have made a deep impression on my sub-conscious mind, hasn't it, because back then I was deeply impressed with it. It is only now that I've managed to recreate something similar to it. My picture is very real, though, unlike Bad Company's cover which looks terribly air-brushed.






No comments: