Sunday 27 February 2022

English

I came across this image recently which listed some differences between British English and American English. Of course, such a list is never complete and I know of many other differences as well. 

The English taught in Malaysian schools historically follows British English standards but in everyday use, due to the influence from American television programmes, much Americanism has crept into Malaysian English and the people here tend to mix the usage. Thankfully, there has been no adverse effect on understanding.

Thus, there is a preference for apartment, chips, corn, eraser, highway, movie and stove. But we more or less still stick to using lift, tap, rubbish, petrol, number plate, queue, football, lorry, taxi and garden. We don't say subway or underground here though. It has always been LRT, the short-form for light rail transit. And instead of Scotch tape or Sellotape, I believe many of us still say cellophane tape.

Oh yah, I do have a list of my own on my computer. It is slightly more extensive that what is seen here. Perhaps one day, I'll remember to share it here on my blog. 

No comments: