Thursday 10 November 2022

Ghulam Sarwar Yousof, RIP

I am utterly devastated to learn of the death yesterday of Prof Dr Ghulam Sarwar Yousof, a respected figure in academia, a literary giant and a cultural behemoth. The world's foremost authority on the makyong. Describing his life's work here would demand thousands upon thousands of words beyond my abilities. I shall confine myself to saying only what I know best. 

It is very little known, but Ghulam Sarwar was the founding secretary of Penang Chess Association. It seemed like only yesterday but it had been 50 years since I first met him at the Penang Public Library in Farquhar Street where he was expounding to a group of chess enthusiasts why the Penang Chess Association should be formed. That was in March 1972. In the months that followed the founding, we exchanged heated letters in public through the Straits Echo newspaper; we were in disagreement how student chess in Penang should be progressing. Later in the year, he left for Hawai'i to pursue his Doctorate. After an illustrious career which took him around the world, he based himself in Kuala Lumpur but last month, he returned to stay in Penang. "For good," he said. 

I was in communication with him again about 10 years ago, this time privately and in silent awe of his stature, and more lately, two months back. I was in the midst of preparing him an invitation to the Association's 50th anniversary next month when news came of his demise. I was so looking forward to meeting him again in December....

Rest in peace, Ghulam Sarwar. Without a doubt, the Penang chess community owes you its present success.


 

No comments: