Sunday 8 January 2023

Two views of the same moon

Last Friday was the first full moon of 2023. It was also the final full moon of the Chinese lunar calendar. Thus, there's no need to be reminded that Chinese New Year is only 16 more days away. Here, I have two views of the same full moon. I took the one on the left using an Olympus camera fitted with a basic 40-150mm zoom lens set at its maximum focal length and the resulting picture digitally enlarged and manipulated. The picture on the right was taken by someone named Andrew McCarthy from halfway round the world - he lives in the United States. As can be guessed quite correctly, astrophotography is his hobby. I am always blown away by the sharpness and quality of his pictures which he posts regularly on facebook and instagram. My amateurish efforts cannot compare with his professionalism. But what I'd like to highlight here is that the moon is not exactly grey, black or white. McCarthy's picture showed this up quite clearly. There are distinct areas of blue and also areas with reddish tinge. Although my picture was miserably blur - partly due to weather conditions over Penang - I was surprised to see faint patches of blue too. Not too bad, eh, for my little camera, I must say.



No comments: