Tuesday 7 March 2023

LYF One-North


During my recent visit to Singapore, my group of travellers stayed at the very hip LYF One-North Hotel which was about a 15-minute walk to my brother-in-law's place in Ghim Moh. Located right next door to the One-North MRT station, thus making it very convenient for hotel guests. The place looked decent enough when I made the booking for three rooms and indeed, when we checked into the hotel, it surprised me and brought out our smiles. First impressions: nice lounge area, very polite and helpful staff to assist with our check-in, amenities included a swimming pool, an amphitheatre, a fitness room, laundromat, barbeque area and a well-equipped kitchen for anyone wanting to cook. 

Overall, a nice, clean environment. As I understand it, the hotel caters to a growing community of 400 companies, 800 start-ups and 50,000 professionals such as technopreneurs, creatives and self-starters. It is a vibrant cluster that hosts prominent research and knowledge-based organisations, startups as well as business schools. 

But as I said elsewhere in this blog, my group consisted of in-laws here on a short holiday stay. I only happened to bump into LYF One-North because it was recommended by my brother-in-law in Singapore. The studio rooms were rather small but that was no issue with us as we were out of the hotel for most of the time. We found them functional: comfortable bed, nice showerheads, wash basin outside the toilet and ample points to recharge our mobiles, even beside the bed. But there was no refrigerator in the room. Have to use the shared refrigerator on each floor and for this, there's a need to trust your food or belongings with the other guests well...people that you do not know at all.

I noticed that the rooms lacked complimentary drinking bottles and I did mention this in the feedback form. The reply from the hotel was, "To share, lyf is a co-living brand designed and managed by millennials for millennials, the millennial minded and the next gen travelers. It signifies a new way of living and collaborating as a community, connecting guests with fellow travellers and change-makers. While we do not provide complimentary beverages, as a co-living service residence, we have a social kitchen within the property which our guests are encouraged to use during their stay. The social kitchen is available 24/7 for the convenience of our guests coupled with vending machines that display an array of beverages and snacks. In addition, our lyf residents enjoy exclusive discounted rates at reputable food and beverage establishments within the one-north vicinity and our lyf Guards are always on hand at our Say Hi! counter to render any assistance to our guests as needed.

So I get it....a hotel for millennials and run by millennials. I'm not one, unfortunately, the time has passed me by. Values have changed with the changing times. No wonder I noticed several millennials with laptops doing their work in the hotel's co-working lounge. The lobby has become a mobile workplace and replaced their cubicles in offices. 

Would I stay here again? I think so. The main drawcard would be the proximity to the MRT station. Practically a case of hopping-on, hopping-off after a long day of walking our feet off.


No comments: