Saturday 22 April 2023

The nyonya kebaya story

A lot of things happened in April. On the 15th, we attended a talk at the Straits Chinese Association on the nyonya kebaya, presented by Kenny Loh who is a well-known designer of nyonya kebaya outfits as well as nyonya manek (beaded) shoes. But basically, this talk was on the nyonya kebaya and nothing more.

My own fleeting interest in this subject is because my nyonya grandmothers wore these dresses during their lifetimes. Almost exclusively, if I can add. Relatives of their generation - my grandaunts - were also dressed in similar attire. To an extent too, my mother and my aunt both also wore the kebayas on and off. Nowadays, the nyonya kebaya is only seen when the modern-day nyonyas wear them to functions or special occasions.  But without Kenny Loh explaining the different types of nyonya kebaya to his audience, the outfits would still remain virtually mysteries to me. But now, I can claim to know a little bit more about it.

Kenny commented that the baba nyonya community in Penang lost their wealth during the dark days of the Japanese Occupation from Dec 1941 till Sep 1945. My own grandparents weren't wealthy but they were comfortable enough before the occupation. Sadly, they were among the countless that lost almost everything by the time the Japanese were defeated. I could relate to Kenny's little tale because it proved impossible for my grandparents to regain their old lifestyle.

It was actually a packed hall ath the Penang Straits Chinese Association. The empty seats at the front were for the state assemblyman who came to officiate at the junction. Thereafter, he went off, leaving the empty seats behind.



Kenny Loh

The other chappie in the picture was Adrian Cheah who happened to be the graphic designer of my book, Ten Thousand Prosperities. The lady with us was Susan Tan, an ex-colleague from Ban Hin Lee Bank. She is very active in promoting nyonya culture in Penang.

No comments: