Wednesday 6 March 2024

Facebook was down

Facebook was down last night. Affected globally. Locally at about 11.30pm, I was suddenly locked out from my facebook account. The first thing that came to my mind was, oh gawd, someone's trying to hack into my account. But I was rather cool about the matter. I had always believed that my security measures were good enough. If anyone wanted to steal my facebook account, the first thing I would do - and this was what I did - was to change my password. 

Unfortunately, all attempts came to nought. I hit a wall when I wanted facebook send their six-digit code to me. On several tries, I did not receive any SMS message from facebook. Even right until this morning, no SMS from facebook. On several other tries, I asked facebook to send the code to me via email. I had registered two different addresses with facebook, one as a secondary back-up, and to much of my surprise, facebook sent different codes to the two email addresses. Now, which one should I use? I tried both, and both were rejected. That's very silly, isn't it? I should be receiving the same code through the two email addresses, not different codes. 

Anyway, I awoke this morning to learn that the problem has been resolved. I could now access my account on my mobile phone and the desktop computer. What a relief, although there's yet to be an explanation from facebook on what exactly hit them. 


No comments: