Thursday 21 March 2024

School tour

I took a small group of students on a magical mystery tour around Penang Free School yesterday. No, actually, it was only a tour of the school hall and the archives rooms. Doesn't sound like much, right? But it was much for them by my own reckoning. In the 70 to 80 minutes that I spent with them, I related the early history of the school from its days in Love Lane, Church Square, Farquhar Street and finally, Green Lane. Told them how the present school buildings came about. 

In the school hall, I described the various plaques on the wall, concentrating on the Donors plaque above the main door, as well as the plaques on the Queen's Scholars, Head Boys and Headmasters. Lesser things to say about the archives rooms but explained many of the publications - newsletters and magazines - as well as elaborating on the four frames that prominently highlighted Tunku Abdul Rahman, Dr Lim Chong Eu, Dr Wu Lien-Teh and P Ramlee. All in, it was an interesting morning for me, a real trip down memory lane in a way. 



No comments: