Sunday 28 April 2024

Testing Tidal

I kept hearing dealers at yesterday's Northern Internal AV Fair making constant reference to Tidal when it came to streaming services. I've been using Spotify for many years but the most that could be offered at their premium price was 320kbps sound. Tidal, on the other hand, was offering CD quality sound streamed to their subscribers as .wav or .flac files. My curiosity got the better of me today and I found that an individual subscription to Tidal's streaming services would cost only RM16.90 per month. By comparison, Spotify's rate was RM15.90 per month. It didn't require much thinking on my part to decide on a Tidal subscription. It's now like a new toy in my hands....

Talking about streaming, I've always been streaming music from the desktop computer to my modest hifi system since eons ago. My constant source of streamed content was BBC Sounds. This, apart from my on-and-off use of Spotify and sometimes TunedIn. There was this dealer at the exhibition who tried to interest me in his streaming box. "It's good for you since you stream so much," he tried to assure me as he demonstrated his RM4,000-plus box. I suppose it is because his box is also rather portable. Sorry, but no thanks. I get a decent enough sound from my present set-up: desktop computer > Panasonic integrated amplifier > Triangle bookshelf speakers / Bose AM5 speakers (sometimes). Good enough for me!

No comments: